Re: I would like to change the behavior of MCS label creations in directory.

On Thu, 2011-09-22 at 16:37 -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-09-22 at 16:32 -0400, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> > > That would be a kernel change, and it would have to be configurable
> > > so that it can differ for MLS vs MCS.
> > >
> > It would seem that we should be able to state the behaviour in policy.
>
> Yes, that was my meaning - allow the default labeling behavior be
> configurable in policy.  Ideally for each field of the security context.
> We already provide significant flexibility through type_transition and
> range_transition rules, but not quite what you want here.  In effect,
> you want the same default behavior for levels as we already have for
> types, i.e. inherit from parent directory.  Meanwhile, I've seen others
> who wanted inherit-from-creating-process for types.  So providing a
> policy construct to specify the desired default for each context
> component would be fine.  I think we've even discussed it before.

Here was the prior discussion:
http://marc.info/?l=selinux&m=129985320617740&w=2

For the range field, it is a little more complicated, as you might want
the low or the high level from either the source or the target.  Or even
a function of them, e.g. the lub.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency