Re: Wrong context for user

On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 09:44 -0400, c.r.madhusudhanan@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello  Daniel, Stephen,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> Yes it looks login runs in the wrong context,
> system_u:system_r:kernel_t and most of the processes are.
>
> I am loading selinux policies from init, so I would expect all daemons
> should show their respective contexts.
>
> Attached is the "ps -aeZ" output.
>
> BTW, when I do "run_init /etc/init.d/sshd restart" the context changes
> from
> "system_u:system_r:kernel_t" to  "system_u:system_r:initrc_t" but not
> to sshd_t.

Once policy is loaded, you have to make the first transition to init_t
for the init process.  That can be done in one of several ways:

- load policy before execing /sbin/init from the real root (e.g. from
initramfs), and then you'll transition naturally when you exec
the /sbin/init binary if the file is labeled init_exec_t.  I think we
did this when using upstart in Fedora to avoid modifying upstart itself.

- load policy from within /sbin/init and then re-exec yourself, using an
environment variable or argument to only do on the first invocation.
This is what the original patches to SysVinit did in Fedora (and I think
it is what systemd does too).

- load policy from init and invoke setcon() to dynamically switch to the
init context before proceeding.  Not preferred, but possible.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency