Re: Unit testing userspace

Jeff Johnson wrote:
On Dec 14, 2010, at 2:07 PM, Chad Sellers wrote:
Note that we've been using CuTest in CIL, and it is very simple and easy to
use. There's almost no spin up to using it.

Try the ISPRAS api-sanity-autotest.pl (same people doing LSB testing).

If CIL is already using cutest that would be helpful. AFAIK Perl isn't installed by default on fedora or gentoo, and we'd want to have the tests run in the default make target in a clean build environment (for RPM builds and such). FWIW I discounted other test frameworks outright because they use ruby or other non-default packages.

There is zero spin-up to shallow testing using ISPRAS, and some modest thought
writing some XML templates can go a long ways towards reasonable
unit testing with significant coverage.

OTOH, if you truly need mocking with symbol replacemnet, well ... good luck! That's hard.

test-dept does mocking with symbol replacement and all that. Yes it is hard (not nearly as hard as doing it without something like test-dept) but Chad may be right, it could be just too hard to encourage unit tests to be written.