Re: What can selinux do that "audit" by itself cant do ?

Hello,

On Tuesday, November 30, 2010 07:17:30 pm Hasan Rezaul-CHR010 wrote:
> Lets say I am using SELinux in my Linux product to monitor the
> filesystem and generate avc deny events in audit.log, whenever my strict
> selinux policy is violated... And I am running in Permissive mode (so
> NOT actively preventing anything, just reporting...).
>
> Is there any reason why I cant simply write a bunch of rules in
> audit.rules  to accomplish the same objective ?

I think that you want to use the right tool for the right job. The audit system is
designed to monitor system activity. SE Linux is a MAC subsystem. There are
requirements that MAC events are auditable, which seems to be what you have been using
in place of just the audit system.

 It should be known that if you turn SE Linux off, you won't get the same events in the
audit logs. This is because SE Linux can have policy written that does not like some
interactions that are "legal" from a DAC perspective. The only way to know if you are
missing anything important is to run with SE Linux disabled and see if the audit rules
captures everything you expect.

> Possibly a dumb question, so apologize in advance, but other than Policy
> Enforcement and Prevention in the 'Enforcing' mode (which I cant use in
> my product for various reasons), what else is SELinux buying me, that I
> cant get by using just audit ?

SE Linux has helped debug many software problems like leaked file descriptors or shared
memory that is executable. The audit system won't be able to catch those since it was
never designed to concern itself with information flow control. It was designed to
monitor resource access. Nearly the same, but different. For example, the audit system
would assume that if a child process inheritted and used a descriptor from a parent
process, then it must be OK. SE Linux because it worries about information flow control
would be more suspicious and report a process attempting to access a resource that it
was not known to previously have.

> I am sure there must be significant benefits of SELinux, but can someone
> help me understand some of the benefits.

Audit should be used for auditing, SE Linux should be used for access control. They
are orthogonal.

> And also perhaps some of the SELinux functionalities are desirable, but
> cannot be accomplished by just audit. Can you tell me what those may be?
> If there is an article or URL that provides more depth, please feel free
> to share that as well.

-Steve