Format of file_contexts file

Hi All,

My Linux system has a few product-specific directories like  /data,
/inactive,  /repl

The default selinux policy would obviously not know how to label these
directories the way I want, because these are not standard linux
directories. If I want to label these directories a certain way... For
example, suppose I want to label all the above directories as var_t,
can I simply add a few lines to the below two files, and then perform
relabel ?

/etc/selinux/strict/contexts/files/file_contexts
/etc/selinux/strict/modules/active/file_contexts

- Is it okay to directly edit those files, or are the above two files
auto-generated ?
- If editing the files is okay, then is it okay to stick lines in
anywhere, or must I follow some kind of convention ?
- or is there a more recommended way to control how those
product-specific directories get labeled ?

- I have actually stuck some lines manually in the middle of the above
two files, and for the most part it seems to work. But every once in a
while, I see other directories not getting labeled correctly. Is it
because the contents of these files have to be in a certain order ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

R.H.