Re: /dev/xen/evtchn labelling in Debian and auditing

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Russell Coker <russell@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've got a problem in Debian/Squeeze that /dev/xen/evtchn isn't being labeled.
> Running restorecon on /dev after boot gives it the right label, but by that
> time the Xen daemons have already got themselves in a state where not much
> less than a reboot will get them going again.  So I decided to use the audit
> system to tell me what process creates the device node.

Are you using devtmpfs for /dev?  If so it's probably

http://marc.info/?l=selinux&m=128295028600638&w=2

The solution is to update udev or use tmpfs instead of devtmpfs for /dev.

Separately, the fact that the device node file creation done by the
kernel is not audited stumped me for a while too.  I couldn't figure
out how things were appearing in /dev.  It's hard for me to decide how
(or if) it should be audit'd since there is no task responsible to one
should attribute the audit message.  The kernel is responsible....

-Eric