Re: Order 4 allocation in policydb_load

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 14:03 -0400, Eric Paris wrote:
> RH BZ 617255 shows that we have an order 4 allocation in policydb_load()
>
> <4>load_policy: page allocation failure. order:4, mode:0xd0
>
> # addr2line --inline --exe=vmlinux ffffffff81215304
> /usr/src/debug/kernel-2.6.32/linux-2.6.32.x86_64/security/selinux/ss/policydb.c:2215
>
> which maps to:
>
>         p->type_attr_map = kmalloc(p->p_types.nprim*sizeof(struct ebitmap), GFP_KERNEL);
>         if (!p->type_attr_map)
>                 goto bad;
>
> Given that
>
> struct ebitmap {
>         struct ebitmap_node *node;      /* first node in the bitmap */
>         u32 highbit;    /* highest position in the total bitmap */
> };
>
> We have a sizeof(struct ebitmap) on a 64 bit system is gong to be 12
> (but it might round to 16, not certain)  Doing the basic math of about
> 3300 types in current policy we come up with an allocation equal to:
>
> 3300 x 12 = 39600
>
> The largest 'safe' allocation is
>
> 2^2*4096 = 16384.
>
> Even if we stretch things a little bit and do an order 3 allocation:
>
> 2^3*4096 = 32764.
>
> So now I'm considering how to deal with it.  Couple of ideas spring to
> mind.
>
> 1) Convert to flex arrays I don't know the perf of the flex arrays, but
> context_struct_compute_av isn't necessarily the hottest path
> 2) Convert to a 2d array type thing where p->type_attr_map is an array
> of 64 pointers to arrays of 256 ebitmaps.  We could support 16k types
> and the largest allocation would be 256 * 12 = 3072 bytes.  This would
> add one memory dereference to our original linear lookup and certainly
> keep up the perf.
> 3) Put them in a proper selinux hash table.  Think this option would
> grow the kernel in terms of both time and space as we would have to
> store the id with the object and certainly wouldn't have linear lookup
> time.
> 4) Put them in a list.  Obviously the easiest but slowest....
>
> Another place where we create arrays based on the number of types is
> type_val_to_struct but thankfully in that case we are only creating a
> pointer.  So the allocation is
>
> 3300 x 8 = 26400
>
> Which fits inside the safer, but still not generally considered 'safe'
> order 3 allocation.  We should probably apply whatever solution we think
> is best here to that one as well....
>
> Anyone else want to chime in with which solution you think looks best or
> if you can think of others?

(1) or (2) sounds fine to me.

I would however like to understand better why there are so many types in
the current policy and how many of those types are actually being used.

Perhaps we need to split more policy modules out of the base policy
package and only install them if the corresponding application is
installed?  That should become more feasible with the recent rpm
enhancements.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency