Re: fuse and selinux don't seem to work well together

On Fri, 2010-07-23 at 12:14 -0500, Xavier Toth wrote:
> I'm looking at building a fuse filesystem for polyinstantiated
> directories which could be used as a alternative to pam_namespace.
> I've noticed that my filesystem is never queried for the xattr
> security.selinux and that the file contexts are defaulting to a fuse
> file type. I've seen some list posting from 2004 related to this
> subject but not much else. Is this a bug or a feature?
>
> Ted
>
> --

After a brief conversation with Steve more information has come up with
respect to this. A while back Eric Paris had developed a patch to
dynamically probe the file system's getxattr handler to determine if we
can use xattr support on the file system for SELinux labels. The major
stumbling block that Eric ran into was that he was experiencing
deadlocks when using the code. Apparently there were and still might be
locking issues between the fuse and SELinux code. I'm sure you could dig
up Eric's old patch and try to forward port it to see if those locking
issues still exist.

Dave