deduplication and SE virtual machines

Are there any good software-only (IE nothing expensive like NetApp) options
for deduplication of SE Linux virtual machine images?

A basic LVM writable snapshot allows creating a SE Linux test image with less
disk space used.  When LVM is used for Xen does the Dom0 do any caching?
Ideally we would have the Dom0 do read-caching of the read-only device.

http://micolous.id.au/archives/2010/01/23/linux-iscsi-cow-images-and-windows-
integration/

Apparently dmsetup supports COW images, the man page on my system doesn't
document it so maybe I would need a newer version.  I'm not sure what benefit
this would give over LVM snapshots given that LVM does it's stuff on top of DM
anyway.

http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/old/UserModeLinux-HOWTO-7.html

A COW block device for User-Mode Linux does the same thing but possibly works
better with caching, the above URL documents UML COW as giving performance
improvements but I'm unsure of LVM.

Are there any others?

I'm thinking of setting up a Linux virtual machine server for SE Linux
training, and with most COW setups the initial relabel of the filesystem will
put all the meta-data into a separate copy.  So ideally there would be a way
of deduplicating this.  Also there's no guarantee that the disk blocks used
would be the same so a simple un-COW operation on LVM or something probably
wouldn't be a viable option.

I believe that NetApp does this well, but there's no chance of getting that
sort of hardware.

--
russell@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Main Blog