Re: We need libselinux to lie...

On 6/22/10 1:06 PM, "Daniel J Walsh" <dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> When building packages within mock/livecd.
>
> We really want the processes running within the chroot to not do SELinux
> stuff.
>
> We want libselinux to tell them that SELinux is disabled.
>
> For example if we install selinux-policy package within a mock chroot or
> livecd we do not want it to try to load_policy.  Other rpms try chcon or
> restorecon in post installs.  These are get turned off if the tools
> think SELinux is disabled.  We are not doing this for security reasons.
>
> We have been hacking this out, but replaceing $CHROOT/proc/filesystem
> with a version that does not include filesystem, but we have found this
> to require large privs for mock. (mount -o bind /tmp/filesystem
> $CHROOT/proc/filesystem; requires mock_t to read /dev/loop which is
> labeled fixed_disk_device_t)
>
> We have considered playing tricks with libselinux.so but those seem a
> little dangerous.
>
> Eric has come up with an idea of adding a field to
> $CHROOT/etc/selinux/config to tell is_selinux_enabled() to return false.
>
> SPECIAL_ENABLED=force_off
>
> Then mock could just set this flag in the config file and all apps would
> think SELinux is disabled.
>
> Does this seem reasonable?

Seems a bit dangerous, as there are some processes you don't want being
wrong about whether SELinux is enabled or not (e.g. login). That said, for
controlled uses like within a build chroot, it seems like it'd be ok.

So, I'd be fine with this, though please name the option something a little
more obvious. Perhaps FAKEDISABLED, with values of 0 or 1 (like SETLOCALDEFS
or REQUIRESEUSERS).

Chad