Re: Non-Computing Abstractions & An Issue Thereof

On Sat, 2010-05-29 at 17:40 -0400, Joshua Kramer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to wrap my head around using SELinux to secure data objects
> in userspace.  My learning style suggests that for a topic like this, I
> abstract the theory away from how it's actually implemented in
> software.  To those ends, I have created the type enforcement file
> attached to this email, that loosely models the behavior of teams of
> sled dogs using SELinux.
>
> When I try to install the policy using these commands:
>
> checkmodule -M -m -o seSledDogs.mod seSledDogs.te
> semodule_package -o seSledDogs.pp -m seSledDogs.mod
> semodule -i ./seSledDogs.pp
>
> ...I get this error from semodule:
>
> libsepol.print_missing_requirements: seSledDogs's global requirements
> were not met: role dog_owner_r (No such file or directory).
> libsemanage.semanage_link_sandbox: Link packages failed (No such file or
> directory).
> semodule:  Failed!
>
> If I comment out the roles, I get a similar message about the types:
>
> libsepol.print_missing_requirements: seSledDogs's global requirements
> were not met: type/attribute medicine_t (No such file or directory).
> libsemanage.semanage_link_sandbox: Link packages failed (No such file or
> directory).
> semodule:  Failed!
>
> Where do I need to be defining these roles and types?  I was under the
> impression that the te files were self-contained.

A require block specifies the dependencies of the module; it does not
define them.  So if you put a symbol in a require block that is not
defined by any module, the module linking will fail as above.

Also note that you cannot define new classes/permissions in any non-base
module presently; they have to be defined in the base module.  That
should change in the future but is a limitation of the current
toolchain.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency