Re: System console hangs on boot in enforced unless some permissions added (with 2.6.32-3).

On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 09:02 -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 10:14 +0400, selinux@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Yes, ofcourse, it is labelled. Plus, my little "fix" by allowing kernel_t
> > access to tmpfs_t allowed the system to properly boot and function in
> > enforced mode and transition to system services and to getty_t, etc, etc.
> > Can that happen with labelling problems?
> > And ofcourse, getty should never be in kernel_t.
>
> Ok, I understand your problem now.
> devtmpfs internally switches to the initial task's credentials when
> performing internal operations like creating new device nodes when they
> are requested by the driver.  Otherwise we'd have to allow whatever
> happened to be the currently running process (e.g. getty_t) to perform
> those operations, whereas they aren't originating from that process at
> all and we don't want to permit the process to perform that action on
> its own.  That's why it shows up as kernel_t.  In the Fedora default
> targeted policy, kernel_t is unconfined and everything just works.  If
> we don't already have explicit allow rules permitting kernel_t to create
> these nodes in whatever default type we assign to devtmpfs, then that's
> a policy bug.

To make sure I understand correctly since I'm not versed in devtmpfs
yet, kernel_t should be able to create device nodes, directories and
symlinks in /dev?  Does it create them with the right context, or does
it rely on udev to come by and relabel them?

--
Chris PeBenito
Tresys Technology, LLC