Re: svirt on MLS has strange AVC.

On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 16:00 -0400, Paul Moore wrote:
> Sorry, I don't think it is very intuitive and the directionality is still a
> bit questionable.  If you're really looking to come up with directional socket
> labels, let's just make directional socket labels; believe it or not, we're
> actually much closer to that then you make think ... here is a clue, look at
> the "peer_sid" field which we store for connected sockets.
>
> I would need to think about this a bit more, but we could have both a
> "local_label" and a "peer_label" (I'm just picking easy, descriptive names
> right now) on both a socket and a sock, much like the "sid" and "peer_sid"
> labels we have now.  All traffic leaving a sock would be wire-labeled based on
> the "local_label" and all traffic being queued to a sock would be checked
> against the "local_label" as well.  Applications trying to read and write data
> to and from a sock queue would be checked against the "peer_label" and the
> rest of the socket operations,
> create/connect/listen/setsockopt/getsockopt/etc., would use the "local_label".
>
> I need to think about this some more, but I like the approach above much more
> than labeling the socket/sock differently.

I don't think this is necessary, and it seems to have the same problems
I noted previously with Eric's proposal - you end up with different
meanings for the same permission check for pre-connection vs
post-connection and for connection-oriented vs. connectionless.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency