Re: libsemanage Next Generation in Fedora 14?

Daniel J Walsh wrote:
Caleb and Josh,

What do you think of putting the new version of libsemanage into F14? Do
you think it is ready?

I don't think it is advisable. The current patchset makes use of a 'new' kind of policy that is really the 3 parts of a refpolicy module combined into a single file. The end system then pulls out all the interface files and uses the entire Refpolicy build infrastructure to build a policy.

While that has uses (changing interfaces changes callers of the interface, for example) it also means every end system would have to have m4, sed, awk, checkpolicy and all the magic unicorns that are part of building refpolicy.

Once we have a minimal CIL (without the transformation language, for example) and a proper Refpolicy compiler much of this will be hidden away behind the library it will be much more suitable.

I believe waiting until F15 is definitely the best idea, we never really intended for a wider audience to use the current way because it is non-ideal and has a number of hacks to make it work. It is mainly available for people who want to work on it, see what it going to be coming up or otherwise curious.