RE: SELinux Policy in OpenSUSE 11.2

Would the proper solution be to add a transition to put that script in the right context when run from a shell?

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Smalley [mailto:sds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 8:40 AM
To: Justin P. mattock
Cc: Alan Rouse; Dominick Grift; selinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; Christopher J. PeBenito
Subject: Re: SELinux Policy in OpenSUSE 11.2

On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 22:17 -0800, Justin P. mattock wrote:
> ahh.. I see what you mean by transition i.g. with enable_upstart=0
>
> under ps auxZ
> I see everything is with sysadm_t
> example when dbus starts:
> with enable_upstart=0
> system_u:system_r:sysadm_t
> and continues to have sysadm_t
>
> (with enable_upstart=1)
> system_u:system_r:udev_t
> and all other daemons etc.. go into there proper
> name(udev_t,hald_t,xdm_t)down the line.
>

> I've looked at the file contexts, and
> am not seeing anything out of the ordinary (but could be wrong).
>
> any ideas?

Looks like /etc/init.d/rc is labeled correctly.
And /etc/init.d/rc and /etc/init.d/boot have the #!/bin/sh prefix?

Looking at the sysvinit code, it appears that it will invoke the command specified in /etc/inittab via a shell if:
- the command string has any meta characters in it that need interpretation (but your /etc/inittab didn't look that way), or
- the attempt to exec the command directly returns with errno ENOEXEC (this will happen if the script lacks a #!/path/to/interpreter header).

The proper domain transition only happens upon direct execution of the script, not if it is invoked indirectly via the shell.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency