Re: Selinux in enforcing mode prevent network interface to be configured at boot for Debian stable ( 5.0)

Elko Kuric wrote:
> I decided to move my debian installation to use Selinux, and I
> installed it using
> http://wiki.debian.org/SELinux  howto ( Debian 5 )
> When Selinux is in "permissive" mode, network connection is up and it
> works but when I switch Selinux to "enforcing" mode network interface
> is down after reboot.

From what I can remember this is an issue with the network hotplug.
A short way to solve this is to simply disable hotplug for all your
interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces (see man interfaces). You have
a server anyway so you shouldn't need to plug network cards in and out
while it's running.

For a permanent fix, kindly report this to the debian folk.

You will probably also experience AVC denials for all the scripts in
/etc/network/*.d directories as they are not run in proper context.
Again a quick solution is to disable them.

I also recommend looking at Russell Coker's page [1] as he has created
some packages that fix the most outcrying problems (eg. postfix).

I am successfully running SELinux on debian lenny (5.0), so it can be
done, only it needs some patience.

Regards,
Michal Svoboda

[1] http://doc.coker.com.au/computers/installing-se-linux-on-lenny