Re: MLS and network

On Friday 05 February 2010 08:54:46 am Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-02-05 at 06:19 +0100, Michal Svoboda wrote:
> > Stephen Smalley wrote:
> > > If you want network enforcement, you need to configure labeled
> > > networking - that isn't enabled by default.
> >
> > Thanks. I have two more questions. First, why does MLS require this, but
> > for TE it is sufficient to have labeled ports? And second, I have
> > managed to label my network to s0, but still, if I try to connect as s1
> > user, the outbound connection gets through, only the response (ie.
> > syn/ack) is denied. This still violates BLP; is this a matter of how the
> > refpolicy is set up?
>
> (cc'd the labeled networking maintainer)
>
> 1) Regardless of security policy model (TE or MLS), the newer networking
> checks (peer send/recv, netif egress/ingress, node recvfrom/sendto) were
> made conditional on configuration of labeled networking to minimize
> performance overhead and ensure backward compatibility for users who
> have no interest in network enforcement.

> Paul, am I missing anything above?

You explained it pretty well.  The only thing I might add (I was just asked
about this yesterday, so I thought I would mention it again) is that while we
have a peer:recv permission we don't have a peer:send permission.  Why?  Well,
the peer:recv permission is present to allow us to control the level of the
peer traffic a given socket is allowed to receive, i.e. a socket created at s0
can not receive s1 labeled traffic.  If you flip this around for the send
side, i.e. the mysterious peer:send permission, you would want the permission
to control the level of the traffic an application could write to a give
socket - which we already have through the other socket/FD access controls so
adding a new peer:send permission would be redundant.  If you want to control
what traffic is allowed out of a specific interface you want the netif:egress
permission, that is what it is intended to do.

--
paul moore
linux @ hp