Re: how to trace an avc denial

On Sa, 2010-01-30 at 22:32 +0100, Michal Svoboda wrote:
[...]
> strace/ltrace should almost universally help, though sometimes you need
> extra privileges to maintain a ptrace() over process tree. When you're
> not starting from shell, strace the 'launcher' program, ie. the one that
> acts on the menu entry and/or hotkey you use to run it.
>
> If the trace itself does not make the cause evident, it should at least
> help you narrow down the relevant parts of source code.

Yeah, I gave strace another shot and this time I got what I needed:

4513  getppid()                         = 1
4513  readlink("/proc/1/exe", 0xbf824ddc, 512) = -1 EACCES (Permission
denied)

A grep after getppid in the sources of pidgin showed me the line of
interest ;-)

Thanks Michal and Stephen for your suggestions.

cheers,
Stefan