From: owner-selinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-selinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Hasan Rezaul-CHR010
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 8:18 PM
To: Daniel J Walsh
Cc: selinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: How to use sepolgen VS. policygentool

Hi All,

I used to have the following SELinux related package versions on my
Linux (2.6.18) system:

checkpolicy      - 1.33.1
libselinux       - 2.0.13
libsemanage      - 2.0.1
libsepol         - 2.0.3
libsetrans       - 0.1.18
policycoreutils  - 2.0.16

On that machine, I used to use  /usr/share/selinux/devel/policygentool
to create new custom policy templates, and modified them as necessary,
and used to run

 make -f /usr/share/selinux/devel/Makefile  to compile my  custom.te
policies to create custom.pp.

I now have upgraded to Linux 2.6.27 on a non-popular Linux distro, and
as part of this upgrade, we also migrated to much newer versions of the
SELinux packages. They are:

 checkpolicy-2.0.19
 libselinux-2.0.85
 libsemanage-2.0.33
 libsepol-2.0.37
 policycoreutils-2.0.69
 sepolgen-1.0.17

My questions are :

1. On this new system, I don't see policygentool anymore ! Infact, I am
missing the whole  /usr/share/selinux/devel/* directory.  Can I install
the  selinux-policy-devel  package on this machine ? If so, where should
I get it from ? Is policygentool still supported ?

2. I do see this new package "sepolgen", which I am guessing is the
newer replacement ? I do see that sepolgen is infact installed on my
system:

	root@unknown:/root> rpm -q sepolgen
	sepolgen-1.0.17-1_WR3.0.2as.ppc_e500v2
	root@unknown:/root>
	root@unknown:/root> which sepolgen
	which: no sepolgen in
(/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/root/bin)
	root@unknown:/root>
	root@unknown:/root>
	root@unknown:/root> cd /usr/lib/sepolgen/
	root@unknown:/usr/lib/sepolgen> ls
	perm_map
	root@unknown:/usr/lib/sepolgen>

How do I use this sepolgen thing ?  I thought I could run an sepolgen
executable as follows: "sepolgen -t <program>"
But I don't see where the sepolgen executable is ??? Do I need to
install any other packages to use sepolgen ?

3. Finally, it seems that sepolgen will create a template policy based
on a particular process, e.g. /usr/bin/ssh

   What if I wanted to write more generic policy for restricting selinux
users. For example:

   neverallow user_t etc_t:file write;
   neverallow user_t bin_t:file write;
   neverallow user_t proc_t:file write;
   neverallow staff_t bin_t:file write;
   :
   :

   what <program_name> should I supply in the sepolgen command, to
create a custom policy template for this purpose ?

Thanks in advance for all your help  :-)