Re: MCS read only cats

Russell Coker wrote:
> That will work too.  Lots of things will work, you just have to decide
> which is most appropriate given your security goals.  If anyone has
> given much thought to implementing read-only files with MCS they don't
> seem to have written about it publicly, so this is all new.

Okay then I will implement this and see how it works.

> One Unix UID can have multiple SE Linux contexts.  The mapping of Unix
> account name to UID doesn't have to be 1:1.  But if you have multiple
> Unix accounts with the same UID then tools start to break.

Uh. They may not break that much but it will still give those people 2
accounts to use, be it usernames or selinux users; the UID is the least
relevant here. In fact, the beauty of MCS is that I could map everyone
to UID 0 and data access protection would still work as expected. Some
apps tend to derive usernames for audit purposes from getuid(), though,
so that would be a minor annoyance.

> Another possibility to consider is to give some file types an
> exclusion for read checks in the constraints.  That would mean that
> anyone could read them if the TE rules permit but MCS levels constrain
> write access.

Fair enough, but actually I need to provide three levels of access,
"none", "read only" and "full". The low/high range trick works here, but
I wonder if it would still be applicable if I wanted for example to add
a "create and append only" in between.

Michal Svoboda