Re: How to trace why MCS permissions granted?

On Mon, 2009-10-05 at 12:14 +0500, selinux@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 01:07:31PM -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:

> > > policy/mcs says:
> > > mlsconstrain file { read }
> > >         (( h1 dom h2 ) or ( t2 == domain ) or ( t1 == mlsfileread ));
> >
> > So it is operating in accordance with the policy configuration.  As to
> > whether the policy configuration makes sense is another question, I
> > think.
> Oh, thanks, I see now.
>
> But is there any place, where I can read human definition
> of reference policy? I suppose, there should be one, that describes
> every requirement, that the policy should meet (or guarantee) to be "correct"
> or "have sense".
> So I (and everyone else) could know out whether there is a bug or a feature
> of a policy.

Reference policy goals were stated in the paper referenced from:
http://oss.tresys.com/projects/refpolicy/wiki/Documentation

That's written primarily in terms of the RBAC/TE components, and is
focused on least privilege and role separation.

MCS came later and was invented by James Morris, see:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SELinux/MCS
http://marc.info/?l=selinux&m=124688422726897&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=selinux&m=125242426700964&w=2

--