Re: object context records for Xen

Stephen Smalley wrote:
On Mon, 2009-08-24 at 11:05 -0400, Joshua Brindle wrote:
Joshua Brindle wrote:
Stephen Smalley wrote:
<snip>>>>
Also, is it an error condition if there are ocon's unrelated to the target
platform? Is it possible to create a general policy that may work on multiple
platforms and therefore have a superset of the ocons for each possible platform?

I would plan to have checkpolicy reject invalid ocons for the specified
target platform, much as it rejects mls statements (or requires them)
depending on the MLS flag.

In retrospect I'm not sure it was a great idea to make it reject mls statements rather than just ignoring them :).

There really isn't any sharing possible between the Xen policy and the
Linux policy, given the significantly different resources and operations
(thus classes and permissions), so I don't think it would be useful to
support a unified policy.

In the case of Linux, Solaris, and FreeBSD, it isn't clear that they
actually need distinct ocontext records since they do happen to share
the same Unix abstractions for the most part.

So even if they had same/similar policies they'd have to be rebuilt with a new --target? Would each have ocon sets that just happen to be the same?

The massive amount of branching in the current reader/writer is fairly discouraging, I hope we can do this in a flexible but straightforward way.