Re: SElinux protection

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009, Stefano Carucci wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I would like to pose some questions on the type of attacks that SELinux offers a protection from.
>
> In particular:
> 1. What are the type of attacks that are inhibited?

The aim for the general case is to contain software vulnerabilities in
userland code.  Note that in commonly shipped general purpose policies,
local login users are not confined by default; the emphasis is on locking
down network facing services.

> 2. What are those that are not, because not explicitly designed for, and may still affect the system?

As mentioned, local login users are generally not confined by SELinux
policy in Fedora-based systems, although this is a matter of policy
design; it's not inherent to SELinux itself.  There are some examples of
confining local users, such as Kiosk Mode (install the xguest package),
and work in this area generally is expected to continue.

SELinux operates at the kernel level, so vulnerabilities in the kernel
itself may reduce or disable the protection of SELinux.  Other mechanisms
are required to protect the kernel.

> 3. Is there any countermeasure against DoS attacks?

No.

A lot of information on SELinux is available here:
http://selinuxproject.org/page/User_Resources

This is a very brief overview:
http://www.slideshare.net/jamesmorris/lf-japan-08-talk

--