Re: best way to comile userspace to use lib64 for x86_64

This can be quite hard at times. For most packages you can use --libdir with
configure, but some packages still want to put their stuff into /lib or /usr/lib
OpenSSL for example seems to require quite a few edits in the Makefiles.

Here's what I have to "rape" OpenSSL into installing into /usr/lib64

if [ "$(uname -a | grep x86_64)" != "" ]; then
	for FILE in $(find . -name Makefile); do
		sed -i 's@$(INSTALLTOP)/lib@&64@g' ${FILE}
		sed -i 's@$${exec_prefix}/lib@&64@g' ${FILE}
	done
fi

Btw, if you compile a pure 64-bit system I suggest simply linking /lib to
/lib64 and /usr/lib to /usr/lib64
Saves you lots of headaches with misplaced stuff...