RE: /etc/selinux/ directory structure...

On Wed, 2009-07-15 at 12:09 -0400, Hasan Rezaul-CHR010 wrote:
> Interesting.  Thanks so much for your response.
>
> Is there some place I can get more useful info about how best to take my
> current set of 'strict' policies, and sort of migrate them onto the new
> improved targeted policy framework.

Well the way to do it is pretty much the same. But policy itself has
evolved in the meantime. So some of your custom policy may not longer be
applicable.

> I am not dying to use 'strict' policies... The reasons why I was pushed
> in this direction were:
> - I wrote some policies (custom.pp)
> to deny certain accesses by certain
> users. The targeted policy didn't seem to be restricting those
> operations, as I had intended. But the strict policy, did.

Now you can use both strict users and unrestricted users or you can
choose to make your targeted policy strict by uninstalling the
unconfined module.

> - I wanted the philosophy of, "when in doubt, block the operation", as
> opposed to "when in doubt, allow the operation".  I felt that the
> 'strict' policy better aligns with that goal. Perhaps I am wrong, and
> either option is viable ?

I like to think least privilege. If i am in doubt i will block until
proven otherwise.

> In any case, I guess I would have to develop my policies again to fit
> with the targeted policy framework now. Any suggestions on a good
> starting point.. Documentation, training materials for developing custom
> policies ?   Thanks again for the help.

Reference policy itself is the best documentation around in my view. It
is full of examples. There is also danwalsh.livejournal.com where dwalsh
pretty much covered all new features. Also the selinux, fedora-selinux
and tresys-refpolicy mail list archives have good information. You can
also get help by joining our irc chat rooms.

Here is a neat summary of some SELinux resources:

http://selinuxproject.org/page/User_Resources