Re: [RFC] Install SELinux policies from rpm package header

Chad Sellers wrote:
On 7/9/09 4:48 PM, "Daniel J Walsh"<dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
<snip>
A couple of other problems with including policy with each rpm.  How do you
handle different packaging.  MLS, Targeted, minimal.

That is a problem we'll have to solve, but I don't think it will be too
difficult. We could easily provide an option to the %policy directive that
could direct rpm to use a particular policy store.

If every package includes policy then we need to rely on the package
maintainer to write good secure policy.  You have to realize that the goal of
a package maintainer is to make the tool run, not necessarily to make sure it
is secure or that other componants of the OS integrate well.

ftp sometimes need to read any file on the OS, so I will add
files_read_all(ftp_t)

Now getting the few packages that ship their own policy to work better and the
selinux-policy package to work better would be great.

That's our initial goal. We want better infrastructure for the packages that
exist today. Policy can transition into other application packages if and
when it makes sense. If a package maintainer has no business touching
policy, then they will not be forced to do so.

How about fixing things like semanage command

semanage fcontext ....
semanage ports ....
restorecon ...

Removal of policy packages is a huge problem in that once a type is removed
you end up with mislabeled files that can not be indentified.

Agreed, and we've talked about some potential solutions to this problem that
do not involve automatic relabeling. This is a likely next step for this
work after the initial RPM integration.

The more I think about this the less I like the idea of uninstalling policy. Even if we retain the labels (eg., save the namespace, ditch the rules) the files are inaccessible. Leaving the policy ensures that admins/backup apps/whatever can do whatever they could do before with the files, even if the associated app is gone.

You do not know where these files are and you need to relabel the entire
machine to make sure there are no longer any mislabeled files around.

When you update policy you need to run a diff between the old file context and
the new and run a recusive restorecon on the diff.  fixfiles -C
PREVIOUS_FILECONTEXT relabel does this for you, but every rpm transaction that
does a policy modules update needs to run this at the completion of the
transaction.  As well as squirrel away the previous file context before the
transaction.

Running fixfiles -C after any rpm transaction that modifies policy seems
reasonable (as long as there's an option to disable this behavior for those
that don't like automatic relabeling).

Its alot worse than that. What about files on backup drives? Offline drives? transient files that will get relabeled to something inappropriate? I'm not confortable relabeling databases with potentially sensitive data to var_lib_t because mysql was uninstalled.