Re: RBAC with SELinux MCS

Shaz wrote:

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Justin P. Mattock <justinmattock@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:justinmattock@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Shaz wrote:

        Dear list,

        I was studying some earlier work on RBAC and came across
        Kuhn98 [1], which says that RBAC can be implemented if some
        interface function is used to map privilege sets of RBAC with
        MCS. James Moris blog article on MCS [2] states that MCS is
        just dicretionary like DAC if hierarchies like of MLS levels
        are not used. It might be because of the implementation of
        current LSPP on Linux distros. So my question is that can RBAC
        be used with SELinux if the mapping function is provided?

        Some further literature or existing work being pointed out
        will be appreciated.

        Thank you.

        [1]
        http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/SNS/rbac/documents/design_implementation/kuhn-98.pdf
        [2] http://james-morris.livejournal.com/5583.html

-- Shaz

    Im guessing the mapping function is "newrole" right!
    if then yeah you should be able too i.g.
    newrole -r  *_r -- -c /usr/bin/* (or wherever/whatever your
    wanting to use in that role).
    might get complicated with the sensitivity
    levels and categories(that is if you really tweak them).

Is this consistent with NIST RBAC standard to a greater extent? Never use roles in SELinux because thought it was just grouping of users.

    Justin P. Mattock

--
Shaz

It should be of standard to NIST(if not then they should fix that)
I don't see it as grouping users(but could be wrong),
I see it as a way of confining the situation i.g.
if  you run an application in certain role, it's confined to
that role and only the privileges that role provides.

Justin P. Mattock