Re: SELinux and no capabilities

Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
Quoting Justin Mattock (justinmattock@xxxxxxxxx):
How dangerous is this:
(using captest:)

Current capabilities: none
Securebits flags NOROOT: 0, NOROOT_LOCKED: 0
Attempting direct access to shadow...SUCCESS
Attempting to access shadow by child process...SUCCESS
Child capabilities: none
Securebits flags NOROOT: 0, NOROOT_LOCKED: 0

I have security capability allowed
libcap and libcap-ng installed as well.
(The only thing I can think of, is the system is so small(1 gig)
that there isn't much on, to turn on any capabilities)

I've refpolicy running with mcs, just a bit concerned when
I see  Attempting direct access to shadow...SUCCESS
(nice)

But you're running this as root, right?  And /etc/shadow
is owned by root.  The captest check is only for R_OK.
So this test would only fail if shadow were owned by
shadow or were chmoded 005.  Go ahead and try with one
of those settings...

(I think this is a forward-looking test.)

-serge

I cant remember If I used sudo to run this test
doing ls -lZ shows this:
-rw-r--r--. 1 root shadow system_u:object_r:shadow_t:s0 0 May 20 22:55 shadow
(I have root:shadow as the groups!)
I think it's o.k.
As for any avc generated by a capability, non so far
(when I built a bigger system a while back
I remember avc capabilities
being generated, but that was for a bigger system with all
of the gnome libs etc...)

seems a smaller system built around the latest policy make more sense to
me(makes thing less complicated.)

Justin P. Mattock