Re: This patch add seusers support to SELinux

On Fri, 2009-06-19 at 15:51 -0400, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> On 06/19/2009 03:30 PM, Chris PeBenito wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-06-19 at 14:29 -0400, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> >> Basically this is the exact same file as the seusers file except it one
> >> per Linux User where is the seusers file is one record per Linux User.
> >>
> >> If I have a distributed environment, I need to say stuff like
> >>
> >> engineers logging into people.redhat.com get guest_t:s0
> >> Admins logging in get unconfined_t:SystemLow-SystemHigh
> >>
> >> In addition on some machines dwalsh is an admin and on others he is a
> >> peon.  So using IPA we generate a mapping from MACHINE to User
> >>
> >> dwalsh on dwalsh_laptop gets unconfined_t
> >> dwalsh on desktop gets user_t
> >> dwalsh on people gets guest_t
> >>
> >> There is a potential use for service but it will probably default to *
> >> for now.
> >
> > I don't have a problem with this idea, but I do have a problem with this
> > not replacing the current seuser behavior.  Having two ways to map linux
> > users to selinux users is an administration nightmare.  People will be
> > confused about which one to use and you'll need to know precedence.
> > What you describe above with the contents of each file just having a *
> > service would be the same as the current seuser behavior.
> >
> Well I don't see administrators editing the new format, we have not even
> used it yet, since IPA has not shipped this functionality yet.

I don't see how IPA's usage matters.  If we go this way, in the future
there will be two ways for the seusers mapping, which is confusing.

--
Chris PeBenito
<pebenito@xxxxxxxxxx>

Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE6AF9243
Key fingerprint = B0E6 877A 883F A57A 8E6A  CB00 BC8E E42D E6AF 9243