Re: access(2) vs. SELinux

On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 14:55 -0400, James Carter wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 11:11 -0400, Eric Paris wrote:

> > I strongly and vehemently oppose any solution that is a blanket
> > dontaudit on access calls, even if there is a flag to dontdonaudit.
> > This might be fine in "secure" shops where everyone understands and is
> > willing to suffer some extra SELinux pain but not here.  If SELinux gets
> > in the way it better scream to high heavens for my customers.
> >

> I think that what we need is a check to see if the domain is allowed to
> call access() on the object.  If it is not allowed, then a denial is
> generated; if it is, then the results of the desired permission check is
> returned, but denials are not audited.
>
> This would better reflect what is actually happening.  When a domain
> calls access(), it is really reading the security properties of the
> object.

Your still just talking about a big global dontaudit hammer on the
EACCESS people get back from access().  Not only that, you propose a new
permission every domain needs of which I don't see any security benefit
(outside of maybe helping make sure people can't probe policy willy
nilly).

If access() had better return semantics than yes/no this might be a good
approach, but I don't see how a single extra perm helps anything and I'm
still railing against the global dontaudit hammer.

-Eric