Re: [nfsv4] [Labeled-nfs] New MAC label support Internet Draft posted to IETF website

On Thursday 02 April 2009 09:21:08 pm Jarrett Lu wrote:
> On 04/01/09 09:46, Paul Moore wrote:
> > On Wednesday 01 April 2009 03:46:58 am Jarrett Lu wrote:
> >> ... and probably outside the scope of labeled NFSv4 enhancement.
> >
> > Perhaps.  Keep in mind I'm trying to think a bit more generically; if
> > that isn't the goal I'll be happy to go back to my corner and sit quietly
> > :)
> >
> >> So realistically, I think the DOI + opaque label is useful between very
> >> compatible systems.
> >
> > Of course.  I agree there are a lot of things you can do with a DOI +
> > opaque label, especially if you are only concerned about end-to-end
> > security issues which I believe is the case for labeled NFS.
> >
> >> Given that limitation, may be the "package" is small enough and can be
> >> passed in RPC layer during authentication so that MLS can share files
> >> with like MLS systems, and same is true for DTE, fmac, smack, ....
> >
> > Well, I think all that the opaque label buys you is the ability to limit
> > who you share the security policy/translation "package" with, as those
> > systems that participate in the labeled communication (be it NFS, generic
> > IP or some other random service) still need to worry about label
> > translation and security policy differences if they want to enforce
> > policy locally.
>
> I am still trying to understand what is needed to make safe sharing
> possible. BTW, are you implying that it's always necessary to do one
> label translation, e.g. from on-the-wire format to a native label format?

[Sorry for the delayed response.]

As I said earlier I think the easiest way forward is to design systems that
can interoperate with established DOI definitions and not worry about what
other peer systems are using for a security mechanism.  In some cases that
will require translations from a native label format to a wire format and back
to a label format; in some cases it may result in no translations at all.  It
all depends on the individual systems and the DOI.

--
paul moore
linux @ hp