Re: [refpolicy] [RFC] Security policy reworks for SE-PostgreSQL

On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 10:27 -0400, Joshua Brindle wrote:
> KaiGai Kohei wrote:
> > Chris,
> >
> > What is your opinion about this reworks?
> > If its scale is too large to commit at once, I can separate it
> > into several pieces.
> >

> I don't think it is a good idea to merge the object class changes at this point.
> The object classes and permissions are likely to change with sepostgresql going
> forward, as that community determines what they like and don't like
> access-control wise.
>
> Additionally there is another object manager (RUBIX) that is now going to be
> reliant on these object classes so it would be nice for them to work out some of
> their implementation just to be sure these are sufficient and finally merging
> these object class changes is going to break the sepostgres that is in fedora
> right now.

Agreed.  I don't want to merge any object class changes until they have
settled down.  I'd prefer that the patches to the object manager be on a
path for upstream acceptance in both databases, if not already committed
to their trees, before moving forward on the object class changes in the
policy.

> I'm not sure how you plan to reconcile the sepostgres in Fedora vs. the work
> with upstream postgresql with the policies available in Fedora (and upstream
> refpolicy) but I don't think we can just start breaking things now, upstream
> refpolicy shouldn't be treated as a playground.

Permissions shouldn't be deleted, as it causes compatibility issues.
The permissions that are deprecated should be marked as such in
access_vectors, so that at some point in the future we can reclaim them,
if needed.

Chris PeBenito
Tresys Technology, LLC
(410) 290-1411 x150