Re: Some ideas in SE-PostgreSQL enhancement (Re: The status of SE-PostgreSQL)

Andy Warner wrote:

> KaiGai Kohei wrote:
>> As I noted in the previous message, SE-PostgreSQL is postponed to
>> the PostgreSQL v8.5 after the long discussion in the pgsql-hackers
>> list, unfortunately.
>> However, it also mean a good chance to revise its design because
>> we have a few months before v8.5 development cycle launched.
>>
>> 1. Changes in object classes and access vectors
>>  - add db_database:{superuser} permission
>>
>>  - remove db_database:{get_param set_param} permission
>>  - remove db_table/db_column/db_tuple:{use} permission
>>
>>   Please refer the previous messages for them.
>>
>>  - add new object class "db_schema"
>>   As Andy noted, we directly put database objects under the
>>   db_database class directly. But, some of database objects
>>   are created under a schema object.
>>   In other word, RDBMS's design has three level hierachy as:
>>      <database>  (<-- some DBMSs calls it as <catalog>)
>>       + <schema>
>>          + <tables>, <procedures>, ...
>>
>>   Now, we control user's DDL statement via permissions on
>>   the sepgsql_sysobj_t type as row-level controls.
>>   But I think db_schema object class here is meaningful
>>   to match SQL's design and analogy to the dir class.
>>
>>   The new db_schema object class inherits six permissions
>>   from common database objects, and defines three its own
>>   permissions: add_object, remove_object, usage
>>
> I would suggest that the SQL catalog object should also be supported.
> Though not common in implementation, it is part of the SQL spec. Our
> DBMS (Trusted RUBIX) supports it, and for us it is basically another
> level in the naming. (database.catalog.schema.table). I would suggest
> that a db_catalog object be included with the same basic semantics as
> the db_schema object.

Is there more information available about how Trusted RUBIX uses SELinux? I see
on the webpage a brief mention of it but no detailed page like the other access
control models, nor in the security policy manager data sheet.