Re: Unable to disable SELinux

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Russell Coker <russell@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009, Justin Mattock <justinmattock@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I would just use selinux=0 enforcing=0
>> as a boot param(but If the system doesn't boot
>> because of selinux=0) then enforcing=0 as a boot.
>
> I am not aware of any situation where "selinux=0" will make a machine fail to
> boot.

I've noticed this a while back as to where selinux=0
gave me an unable to mount root error(I'll have to see if this
still happens). It might also be caused by having selinux=0
enforcing=0 as a boot param and having
/etc/selinux/config(set in enforcing mode)
but I'll have to look and see when I get a chance.

> Anyway the request was for a way to "temporarily disable SELinux", in that
> case "selinux=0" is a bad idea as that will result in files without labels.
> So "enforcing=0" is a much better option.

agree

>> but then you still might receive a permissions denied
>> due to /etc/selinux/config saying "enforcing"
>
> If there is a program that uses /etc/selinux/config without regard
> to /selinux/whatever then it's probably buggy.  Please file a bug report if
> you discover such a program.

I meant the option in /etc/selinux/config
SELINUX=enforcing and/or permissive

>> (if this is the case then load a livecd mount the hard drive,
>> and use vim to edit /etc/selinux/config, and /boot/grub/* to
>> set everything in permissive.
>
> That's really not necessary.

no its not, but sometimes I found myself in a situation
as to using this approach helps out(that is depending how or what I
did to the system to make it unbootable).

> --
> russell@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Main Blog
> http://doc.coker.com.au/           My Documents Blog