Re: [RFC] X+SELinux performance work

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 11:12 -0600, Joe Nall wrote:
> On Feb 27, 2009, at 10:42 AM, Eric Paris wrote:
>
> > (sorry for everyone who gets this twice, I misspelled the list address
> > the first time)
>
> That's ok. I enjoyed it just as much the second time.
>
> > As a great example of how much selinux is killing X performance ajax
> > showed me the x11perf -create test.

> > Last thing was that translating from raw to whatever looked to be
> > taking
> > up tons of syscalls, open a socket, bind, fail, close over and over
> > and
> > over.  So I added new hook where X can just disable translations
> > altogether.  What does X care if it has raw strings?  I think as
> > soon as
> > we have things to "display" strings to users they should take care of
> > translation and just let X internally hand things back and forth the
> > way
> > the AVC can use them.
>

> If X is going to call setrans that often, it needs to cache the
> result. Even if the cache period is short (60 seconds) it would
> dramatically improve performance under load. Especially if you are
> making 175000 identical translation requests :)

It looks like the libselinux code already caches one translation result.
Seems kinda pointless since a typical permission request is going to
have at least 2 contexts and a create event is going to have 3.  If
people aren't keen on the idea of just allow apps to disable
translations altogether maybe I should make this a better cache?

-Eric