Re: [nfsv4] [Labeled-nfs] New MAC label support Internet Draft posted to IETF website

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 03:00:51PM -0500, David P. Quigley wrote:
> We also explored a callback for label change notification. I think we
> even have the code lying around for the prototype. It worked but Trond
> expressed some concern with how well it would scale. The issue Trond
> raised is what happens if you relabel an entire file system from under a
> set of NFSv4 clients? I'm not sure how much of a concern this will be

Surely it would scale no better and no worse than open file delegation...

> since 1) File relabeling is supposed to be rare and 2) clients will
> probably have a small subset of files open. In the event that you do

Reclassification of data is supposed to be rare, though that may vary a
lot by environment.  The number of files that may be kept open provides
a natural limit to how many relabel callbacks will be needed.  (A client
could OPEN every file at limit cost to itself hoping to overwhelm a
server, but that's a separate issue.)

> need to relabel the entire file system on the server it might be a good
> idea from an administrative perspective to have your clients remount the
> NFS shares and flush whatever caches they have.

Well, there's no callback to tell clients to flush all writes and
remount (or recover).  You could simulate a server reboot and force
recovery though.

Nico