Re: [IPsec] IPsec Security Context drafts

On Monday 12 January 2009 2:59:57 pm Joy Latten wrote:
> The following IPsec Security Context drafts were announced last week.
>
> We would appreciate any comments, suggestions or reviews.

[NOTE: I've CC'd the SELinux mailing list since this draft was also
announced there]

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jml-ipsec-ikev2-security-co
>ntext-00.txt
>
> Filename:        draft-jml-ipsec-ikev2-security-context
> Revision:        00
> Title:           Security Context Addendum to IPsec
> Creation_date:   2009-01-08
> WG ID:           Independent Submission
> Number_of_pages: 12

Hello,

I've only had a chance to read the IKEv2 version of the drafts but I
believe that most of my comments apply to the IKEv1 version of the
draft as well.  My comments are below, ordered by section:

 * Section 1 (Introduction)

- In paragraph two, second sentence it might be nice to mention that
sensitivity levels are hierarchical and categories are not.

- In paragraph three you mention that domain type enforcement is not
hierarchical but fail to explain how it differs from the MLS concept of
categories which is also a non-hierarchical security attribute.

- In paragraph three you mention "exempt tasks" but it is not clear to
me what you are referring to.

- In paragraph five you mention how RFC1108 when used in conjunction
with FIPS-188 would enable additional security attributes (assumed to
be DTE attributes), why is RFC1108 needed?  Why not just FIPS-188?

 * Section 3 (Labeled Networking)

- In paragraph two you only mention data export, text on data import is
missing.

- In paragraph four and five you talk about using IPsec to protect both
implicitly and explicitly labeled network traffic, it would be helpful
if you could explain why implicit labeling is needed since the
combination of IPsec and explicit labeling seems to address the issues
you listed in section 1.

 * Section 3.1 (Relationship Between a Security Association ...)

- It would be nice to mention in this section how to deal the potential
for packets employing both AH and ESP with differing security contexts.

 * Section 3.2 (Security Context Selector)

- In general I feel this section is not specific enough for
implementation, e.g. in paragraph two how are traffic streams
controlled via SPD security labels?

- In paragraph three you don't mention how the security label assigned
to a newly SA is determined.

- In paragraph four you don't mention how the correct SA pair is
determined.

 * Section 3.3 (Security Context Selector and PFP)

- In this section you never mention how a SA created via PFP would
arrive at the correct security label.  In addition, while you describe
SPD entries as "objects" from a security perspective it isn't clear if
an SA's security label represents a "subject" or an "object".

 * Section 3.5 (Additional Outbound Processing)

- What happens when an SA doesn't exist?  Compare labeled versus
unlabeled SPD entries and how a SA's security label is determined.

- How are errors (unknown DOI, invalid label, etc.) and denials (access
not allowed per security policy) handled?  Is the sender notified, if
so, how?

 * Section 3.6 (MAC Processing for Security Gateways)

- In paragraph two you discuss the potential for forwarding packets with
security attributes derived from either explicit labeling protocols, in
this particular case how do you handle the traffic?  Specifically, what
happens to the explicit labeling information?  What about security
label translations?

- In paragraph three you mention how outgoing forwarded traffic should
be labeled using explicit labeling or security attributes of the
destination, how is this determined and managed?

- How are errors (unknown DOI, invalid label, etc.) and denials (access
not allowed per security policy) handled?  Is the sender notified, if
so, how?

 * Section 4 (Security Context Transform)

- I believe it should be a "MUST" that each SA in a bundle use the same
security label.

- The term "doi" should be capitalized since it is an acronym.

- Is any part of the DOI space reserved for private use?

 * Section 4.1 (Attribute Negotiation)

- On systems that support multiple DOIs, how is a DOI selected for
outbound traffic?

- More detail is needed on how the SA security label negotiation process
works.

 * Section 4.3

- If a system's security policy for a given SPD entry only allows for a
single SA with a specific security label, "MUST" is be willing to
accept another SA?  Why and how?

--
paul moore
linux @ hp