Base module, modules.conf

Hello list,

This is my first time writing to the list, and I'm an SELinux newbie.

I'm trying to do some experiments on SELinux that require me to replace the base module. I have a policy I want to use in its place, but I'm having trouble on a couple different fronts. The easiest way I can think of to change the base module is to redefine what makes it up--that is, modify the modules.conf file. Neither of the makefiles have any conf target, however, and I have been unable to generate it. I would also like to know how to generate a base module from scratch.

So my question is: how do I create a base module? How is it different from regular policy modules? How can I generate the modules.conf file and use it to modify the base? I have found very little on this in any book or on the Internet.

Relevant system stats: Fedora 8 running the targeted reference policy.

Thanks,
Ayla