Re: Non root user cannot execute semanage, semodule

On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 09:52 -0800, Rahul Jain wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am currently developing a Role Based Access Solution on Montavista
> linux using SELiunx. I started my implementaion with the reference
> policy from Tresys. In this implementation I had assigned a role of
> security officer to one of my non root Linux user. This user is
> resposible for maintaining SELinux related tasks such as creation,
> building of policy etc. But this user of mine, being a non root user
> is not able to execute some priviledged commands such as semodule and
> semanage.
> Is there any in which I can permit a non root user execute these
> commands.
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Rahul Jain

Not directly, no.  SELinux only further restricts what can be done; it
does not completely override the normal Linux checks.

You could invoke semodule/semanage via sudo in order to enable a
non-root user to use them, with suitable policy configuration and
sudoers configuration.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency