Re: immutable X windows

Xavier Toth wrote:
> We've talked in the past about the need for immutable windows for
> desktop security banners and window security labels so what do you
> think is the best way forward on this subject? I'm guessing that X
> server changes would be required to support immutable windows so we'd
> need to get X.Org involved, right?

I believe that immutable windows are possible without involving the
server, by using a compositing window manager such as compiz.

A compositing window manager uses the Composite extension to redirect
window contents into memory buffers, then draws the window contents to
the screen by itself.  Since the manager does all the drawing itself, it
could make an area immutable to other programs.

I have checked the compiz source and I am working on a compiz plugin to
demonstrate the concept.

--
Eamon Walsh <ewalsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
National Security Agency