Re: user guide drafts: Maintaining SELinux Labels

On Saturday 11 October 2008 15:15, Murray McAllister <mmcallis@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> When files and directories are copied, the SELinux context of the new
> file or directory depends on the context of the creating process, and
> the context of the target, parent directory: the type is inherited from
> the target, parent directory (unless a type transition rule exists[1]);
> the SELinux user identity and level are inherited from the creating
> process; and the role is always object_r, which is a generic role for
> files. This helps ensure files and directories are labeled with the
> correct SELinux context after being copied.

I'm not sure how the last sentence is supposed to link with the rest - it
certainly doesn't correspond to the second-last sentence.

object_r is for future support and also to give a regular format of the
context for all operations.  Note that files under /proc that relate to
processes have different roles.

> Also, when a file is copied over an existing file, the existing file's
> context is maintained, unless the user specified cp options to preserve
> the context of the original file, such as --preserve=context.

Also the -Z option to cp deserves a mention.

> #Is the following required, or is it covered by the above:
>
> On systems running the MLS policy, when files and directories are
> copied, they inherit the type from the parent directory they are being
> copied to, and the level from the process that copied them.

Probably.

--
russell@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Blog