Re: user guide drafts: "Working with SELinux" sections

On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 23:30 -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 16:16:00 +1000, Murray McAllister said:
>
> > * selinux-policy-[policy]: provides SELinux policies. For targeted
> > policy, install selinux-policy-targeted. For MLS, install
> > selinux-policy-mls. The strict policy was merged in Fedora 9, allowing
> > confined and unconfined users to co-exist on the same system.
>
> Strict was merged with what, exactly? (This threw me for a loop when
> strict evaporated out of rawhide, before I figured out that MLS was what
> I needed as the replacement - for most of my boxes, I don't actually *need*
> the MLS/MCS stuff, I just need to not have an 'unconfined' on the box.  For
> a *few* others, the MCS stuff is handy.  And actual MLS is barely on the
> radar here...)

strict policy was merged into targeted policy in F8, which paved the way
for actual user roles in F9.  You can get 95% of the behavior of strict
policy these days just by mapping Linux users to confined SELinux users
using semanage or system-config-selinux, or 100% of its behavior by
removing the unconfined module using semodule (but that's a destructive
operation that requires doing it in permissive and rebooting your system
since you'll invalidate all running processes in unconfined_t).

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency