apol bugs

Here's a couple of Debian bug reports I just filed about apol:

setools: needs a script to run apol with the current list of modules

When apol is run on the installed policy (such as
/etc/selinux/*/policy/policy.*) then it misses out on a lot of symbolic
information (such as the types that are in attributes) and thus makes it
impossible to determine the reason why some access is permitted.

To solve this I suggest having a script such as the following:

#!/bin/bash -e

. /etc/selinux/config
if [ "$1" = "-s" ]; then
  shift
  SELINUXTYPE=$2
  shift
fi
cd /etc/selinux/$SELINUXTYPE/modules/active
exec apol base.pp modules/*.pp $*

Of course any user could figure this out on their own, but having a
script to do it for them saves effort for everyone (even I had to ask
the mailing list for advice on this issue).

setools: Could not open policy error is not specific

I ran apol with a list of 30 modules and received a message in a dialog box
titled "Open Policy" which said:
"The selected file does not appear to be a valid SELinux Policy.

Could not open policy"

That does not tell me which of the 30 files had a problem.  The dialog
in question should name the file that it had a problem with to save me
the effort of a binary search.

As well as giving the name of the file, the type of error (non-existent file,
EPERM, etc) should be displayed to the user.

--
russell@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Blog

http://www.coker.com.au/sponsorship.html Sponsoring Free Software development