Re: user guide draft: "Introduction" review

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, Murray McAllister wrote:

> > > * Help limit the damage done by configuration mistakes. An administrator
> > > may forget to limit zone transfers when running ISC BIND; however, the
> > > default SELinux context for zone files does not allow them to be updated
> > > by zone transfers, or written to by named, the ISC BIND daemon, and other
> > > subjects.
>
> Someone mentioned "What is ISC BIND". I need to change this to a more simple
> example.

You could use "DNS server", perhaps with a reference/link to an
explanation of what it is.

> SELinux is a Linux security module that is built into the Linux kernel. Part
> of this module is the SELinux security server. The security server is driven

IMHO, "security server" is unnecessary jargon in a general explanation
context.  (The server part will likely confuse all who are not also
familiar microkernel design and related Flask/Flux history).

I tend to explain it along the lines of: security policy is loaded into
the kernel, and consulted when a security-relevant access is taking place.
SELinux will veto the access if it is not allowed by policy.

> by loadable policy rules that define what access is allowed. When a subject
> attempts to interact with an object, for example, a process opening a file, a
> hook in the Linux kernel intercepts the system call the process makes to open
> the file. The hook calls the security server to check if access...

Make it more concrete, e.g. when a process attempts to open a file, this
operation is intercepted in the kernel by SELinux.  If the operation is
allowed by policy, it is allowed to proceed, otherwise, it is blocked and
the application receives an error.

Generally, removing jargon and uncessary abstractions is the way to go.
There is already plenty of detailed technical documentation for those that
need to understand the internals.

- James
--
James Morris