Re: user guide draft: "Introduction" review

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 11:49 PM, Murray McAllister <mmcallis@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi, I have only a couple of things that came up in reading.

> The following is a draft of the Introduction sections for the SELinux User
> Guide. Any comments and corrections are appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
>  On Linux(R) operating systems, files, directories, sockets, devices, and so
> on, are called objects, and processes, such as a user running a command, the
> Mozilla(R) Firefox(R) application, and the Apache HTTP Server, are called
> subjects. Linux operating systems use a Discretionary Access Control (DAC)
> system that controls how subjects interact and access objects, and how
> subjects interact with each other. On systems using DAC, users control the
> permissions of objects (files and directories) that they own. They could,
> for example, make their home directories world-readable, giving users and
> subjects (processes) access to potentially sensitive information.

Should all (R) be listed at the bottom of the chapter with who owns
the registered trademark? I only ask because I am trying to figure out
who has a trademark for the word Enforcement later on.

> * Prevention against privilege escalation. Since subjects run in domains,
> and are therefore separated from each other, and rules determine how
> subjects access objects and other subjects, if a service is compromised, the
> attacker only has access to the normal functions of that service, and to
> files that the service has been configured to have access to. For example,
> if the Apache HTTP Server is compromised, an attacker is unable to read
> files in user home directories, unless a specific rule was added or
> configured to allow such access.

I worry about the word prevention.. it implies impossibility. Selinux
discourages privilege escalation but a hole in a policy could still
allow for privilege escalation.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux