Re: SELinux policy and performance impacts

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 19:13 -0400, Matt Anderson wrote:
> I'm currently looking into the performance impact of SELinux.  Most of
> what I have seen so far involve testing the system's performance with
> file creation, open, and exec, but I was hoping to gather some more data
> before finalizing any conclusions.
>
> I was wondering if anyone knows of any types of policy rules that when
> loaded into the kernel are particularly detrimental to system
> performance.  My understanding is that all policy rules are treated
> equally once they've been compiled to binary, but I wanted to ask here
> first in order to confirm that.

In addition to other points raised in this thread, note that using
larger inodes (as done by default in F9) should yield a significant
improvement in file benchmarks by keeping the SELinux security context
inline within the inodes rather than in separate data blocks.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency