Re: unconfined_t and user_home_dir_type

On Tuesday 29 July 2008 23:55, Chris PeBenito <pebenito@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Actually, it is a common situation in modern Fedora - they can map
> > > users they wish to confine to user_u (and thus to user_t) while leaving
> > > e.g. root as unconfined_u and thus unconfined_t.
> >
> > So what do they do for the "targeted" case where all users are
> > unconfined_t and they want to have POP/IMAP servers retrieve mail from
> > the users' home directories?
>
> Dan has no MAC-based home directory separations.  All home dirs are
> user_home_dir_t in the Fedora policy.

1) In a default configuration we want to have the users be unconfined
(otherwise they complain too much.

2) For full functionality we need to have daemons such as a POP server, a mail
server (or it's local delivery agent), and a web server access the home
directories of all regular users.

3) Allowing daemons to mess with super-powerful domains is of course a bad
idea, which is why we never let daemons access sysadm_home_dir_t.  But
preventing them from messing with ~/.bashrc etc while fulfilling the above
two conditions and making the system easy to use is almost impossible (maybe
restorecond has some potential to alleviate this, but it's still going to be
hard).

So we can have a boolean to allow the compromise for item 3 and have it
enabled by default.  So by default users get domain unconfined_t, home
directory label unconfined_home_dir_t, and the POP server etc can access
that.

To improve security we need to prevent the daemons messing with users who are
unconfined_t, that means unsetting the boolean in question and giving domain
user_t to users who have full interaction with daemons.

The next step up after that is to assign root the roles staff_r and sysadm_r
and remove unconfined.pp.

Am I missing anything?

--
russell@xxxxxxxxxxxx