Re: newrole assertion - should be gnome-terminal assertion

On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 17:17 -0500, Xavier Toth wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 1:24 PM, Ted X Toth <txtoth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Stephen Smalley wrote:

> >> So, I assume that this does not happen if in permissive mode?
> >> What AVC denials occur?  Run semodule -DB and retry if there are no AVCs
> >> by default.
> >>
> >> What is the application trying to do at that point (look at the source
> >> code and/or ask on the gnome lists)?  What are the possible failure
> >> conditions there?  What external dependencies does it have?
> >> strace output might help if you have it.
> >>

> > Sorry to have bothered you. Looks like it has something to do with
> > polyinstantiation of ~/.gnome or ~/.gnome2. We haven't seen this with
> > previous versions even when polyinstantiating :(
> >

> Hmmm this was a bit of a rush to judgment :( It actually turned out
> that if I don't polyinstantiate /tmp then I can start gnome-terminal
> as shown in permissive but it still doesn't work in enforcing. I tried
> turning off dontaudit but I'm not seeing any  AVC out of
> gnome-terminal. I've attached a strace maybe you'll see something that
> I don't.

Look for any avcs at all - they might be occurring during the
polyinstantiation, or from dbus, or from the X server.

Also, run the strace while permissive and diff the two strace outputs to
see how they differ (imperfect, there will be noise, but helpful
nonetheless).

I see quite a few ENOENTs in there, e.g. on the .gnome2 files, not sure
how many of those are expected/harmless.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency