Re: [refpolicy] Milter Mail Filters

On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 13:51 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:
> > attached is a patch based on local policy I'm using on Fedora 9 to
> > support two "milter" mail filter daemons in conjunction with sendmail,
> > namely spamass-milter and milter-regex (I maintain the packages for both
> > of these in Fedora).
> >
> > I've taken the view that most milter applications will have similar
> > requirements and so I've created a milter_template interface that
> > contains most of what's needed, and then added the specifics that are
> > needed on top of the generic stuff for each application.
> >
> > However, as I'm by no means an selinux expert, there are a number of
> > things I'm unsure about:
> >
> > 1. In a situation where sendmail is the running MTA on a system, what is
> > the difference between sendmail_t and system_mail_t?

The former is the server process, the latter is the client.  In the past
sendmail_t was also used in the client sense in too, but we've since
stuck with *_mail_t for clients with few exeptions (which I'd prefer to
fix).

> > 2. MTAs other than sendmail (postfix comes to mind) can also use
> > milters, but as I don't have any boxes running postfix, I don't know
> > what I'd need to add to postfix policy to support milters.

My guess would be postfix_local_t, since that is where the procmail
transition is.  Someone more familiar with postfix should confirm.

> > 3. Fedora 9 has an interface spamassassin_domtrans_spamc that I used in
> > my local policy. It doesn't appear to be present in refpolicy; what
> > would be the right thing to use for a daemon calling spamc?

There isn't currently a system_spamc_t domain, and adding that along
with appropriate interfaces would likely be the best choice.  Current
policies just execute spamc w/o transition, for example procmail, which
would likely be ok for now.

> > 4. I cribbed the milter_port_t stuff from the only example I could find,
> > and it's probably wrong. What would be the correct way of defining this?

Adding it to corenetwork.

> > 5. Does the use of a template for these applications a sane way to do it?

Depends.  Based on what I see in your patch, I'd say no.  There are only
a couple rules, and there are a bunch of types declared that don't have
rules.

> Should I have raised this somewhere else, or in a different way? I've
> had no responses either here or on fedora-selinux-list. The
> spamass-milter is currently broken with SELinux enforcing on Fedora 9
> and I'd like to be able to make at least a little progress towards
> fixing that.

Here is fine.  I can only speak for myself about not responding earlier
of course, but since there was a policy patch I added it to my queue to
review.  There are still items in the queue before this :)

--
Chris PeBenito
Tresys Technology, LLC