Re: dynamic security class and access vector lookup

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 15:20 -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 14:05 -0500, Xavier Toth wrote:

> > > selinux_set_mapping() does that too.  dynamic discovery of classes and
> > > permissions was discussed quite a bit on list.  XSELinux uses it, and so
> > > does SE-Postgres.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Stephen Smalley
> > > National Security Agency
> > >

> > I see the posting of the patch but no discussion. Yesterday Eamon
> > posted an example of setting the mapping of a security class but it
> > didn't address perms. I have some python code where I'm calling
> > selinux.avc_has_perm_noaudit and have been using hard coded values for
> > the security class and perm. I'd like to fix this code but am not sure
> > if this or some other capability I'm unaware of will do the trick.
>
> See:
> http://marc.info/?l=selinux&m=118114723416269&w=2
>
> Then your code can use your own set of private definitions for class and
> permission values that are just indices starting from 1, and the
> libselinux avc will map them to the kernel/policy values automatically.

BTW, I agree that all of this ought to be captured in a man page
EXAMPLES section.   Worked examples in XSELinux and SE-Postgres are nice
but not quite enough for others to use.  And we want existing object
managers like dbusd and nscd to convert over to the new interfaces.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency